HarBee Beekeeping offers a handful of things to get people started with having bees in your yard. If service is related to bees, we do it! For the hobbyists you might no have the equipment to move your bees to another location. HarBee has you covered from complete yearly management contracts to house calls when you have an issue. Just give us a call.
For some that wants to bee a beekeeper
Looking to do everything yourself? It is important to have good information and I am ask often what are good resources for someone to learn about bees and beekeeping. So here you go! Here is a list of books, clubs, and classes in New Jeresy that I would suggested to any new-bee.
- Join a beekeeping club. Here is a link to find your local branch (http://www.njbeekeepers.org/Calendar.htm). Joining a club is the most importing thing you can do. Talking with other beekeepers and staying up-to-date with what is going on in the state from management practices to new and proposed laws and regulations will keep you informed better than any book.
- Reading a beekeeping book on basic manage and to get used to some beekeeper terminology is really important as you go your skills.
- “The backyard beekeeper” By Kim Flotsam, was the book that I read and still keep for reference.
- “Beekeeper for dummies” is a good book that I didn’t read but I have heard good things about.
- “The Beekeeper’s Handbook” by Diana Sammataro is another great reference book and it implies some level of understanding. For someone that is just starting I wouldn’t recommend, but it is a great second read. After your first year in having bees reading this book will help perfect your craft. Beekeeping is a learning persons hobby and good beekeepers are always perfecting their craft.
- The Bee Informed Partnership has put together a booklet on how to control Varroa. Varroa is the killer of honeybees and will kill your bees if you do not manage to control it. Know that your tools are along with how and when to use then tools and how effective you should expect it being is important. As a beekeeper you are the veterinarian to your bees. Here is the link (https://honeybeehealthcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/HBHC-Guide_Varroa-Interactive-PDF.pdf)
- Other major killer of bees is the internet. There are a lot of people on youtube that talk about a lot of things that simply do not work in New Jersey or you can be following someone that is in Australia where there is not Varroa. Don’t get mixed up in bad information. If you are person that learns from youtube here is my list of links. Im not limiting videos to these links but I will limit it to the speakers in the video.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewqWVguGRvc – Randy Oliver Mite wash and hive inspecting How-To video.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36oHVUl3INA&t=4s – Tim Schuler demonstrates Varroa Mite Alcohol wash. Great video.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nznzpiWEI8A – Mike Palmer
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcfqTx4_FAo – Randy Oliver
If you will have questions, Give me a call (201-543-3549) or send me and email at email@example.com subjected “I have a question”.